On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Maarten Dammers <maar...@mdammers.nl> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> Op 18-10-2013 22:05, Ken Snider schreef:
>
>> The Wikimedia Foundation's Technical Operations team is seeking proposals
>> on the provisioning of a new data-centre facility.
>>
>> After working through the specifics internally, we now have a public RFP
>> posted[1] and ready for proposals. We invite any organization meeting the
>> requirements outlined to submit a proposal for review.
>
> You have stated some technical requirements, but not the availability you
> would like to have. You probably want to include that you're looking for a
> tier-4 data center
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_4_data_center#Data_center_tiers). Is
> this one going to replace the Florida data center? Where are you keeping
> documentation these days? The information on wikitech seems to be very
> incomplete and outdated.

Wikitech is our best source of documentation....

> Something related: While travelling in China I noticed the bad performance
> of our sites. Would it be a good idea to investigate this (lack of)
> performance and maybe consider a caching site somewhere in Asia? The latency
> should be much better than getting is all the way from the USA.
> http://www.glif.is/publications/maps/GLIF_5-11_World_4k.jpg (from
> http://www.glif.is/publications/maps/) gives a good idea of connectivity by
> the way.

(Employee hat) - we are starting to move some of the Asian traffic to
a new caching center on the US west coast, which has helped latency.
(Personal hat) - I would love to get an Asian caching center (Hong
Kong or Tokyo would be my top 2 choices), but IMHO the biggest barrier
to this the time and availability of people resources.

> Maarten

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821