On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 08:28 -0800, Quim Gil wrote:
> In order to get somewhere with this discussion, it would be useful to
> know the current practice of other free software projects, using
> Bugzilla or not. As a newcomer, can I assign bugs to myself in GNOME,
> KDE, Ubuntu, Debian... etc?

In case any projects which use Bugzilla allow this: I just learned it's
a bad idea [1].
The assignee of a bug report who is not member of the "editbugs" group
defacto has "editbugs" permissions for that specific bug report.
So you could mass-assign bug reports to you in order to bypass your
missing editbugs permissions.

andre

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.support.bugzilla/6GCB7ufa7nc
--