Again, as far as I'm concerned, we're solving a non-problem.  Yes, in
theory it would be nice if everyone easily got all permissions to
everything.  But bugzilla is not set up with the antivandal features needed
to make that work.  Instead, we should aim to make it possible for
newcomers to easily get the permissions *that they need*.  I'm not
convinced that the ability to assign bugs themselves is an ability *that is
needed* by most committers.  They only think they need it because (1) we
make the field visible, along with a bunch of other unused and unnecessary
stuff, and (2) we have bugzilla set up to automatically "assign" bugs to
default owners, even if (as is usually the case) the default owners do not
plan to work on those bugs.

If newly entered bugs were put in an unassigned state, and the assignment
field was hidden for untrusted users when the bugs were unassigned, I think
we wouldn't have a problem here.  We'd just handle assignment manually
using comments in the bug, just as we go with github, etc.  If a user
starts working on such a long list of bugs that they need bugzilla's
(broken, sigh, but it's what we've got) bug list management functions, they
can ask to be officially assigned to a bug and/or ask for 'editbugs'
permission.  This is a huge subset of committers, and so can be handled
manually.

The principle is that *new contributors shouldn't face roadblocks*.  No one
has convinced me that the inability to assign bugs to themselves is
actually a *roadblock* for new contributors.  It's just a *perceived
roadblock*, caused by bugzilla's broken design.
 --scott

(http://cscott.net)