On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> What might have some degree of traction, based on the
> discussion, is to have some blessed delegation coming from the
> original triumvirate of architects.

+1

I'd personally like to see this kept flexible, so that it's relatively easy
to both assign and to hand off projects.  Gerrit is littered with abandoned
bits and pieces.  It should be easy to 'assign' a new owner/"architect" to
a component when maintainership seems to be flagging, and owners should be
encouraged to hand off ownership when they've moved on.  Having to go
through a formal process would be a drag.

Perhaps every module owner should be required to write a quarterly report,
and the next level up in the hierarchy has to write the report for any
unowned modules. That would encourage people both to delegate and to
hand-off when possible. ;) [mostly joking, we shouldn't be inventing
busywork, but I do feel that ownership/"architect" status should ideally
come with real responsibilities.]

2) We don't award Architect as a job title beyond the original
> triumvirate, but we _do_ introduce a Senior Software Engineer II (same

[...]

> I think the second is more consistent with the tenor of the discussion

+1

I'm not a big fan of the actual wording of the "Senior Software Engineer
II" title, but I'm sure HR could come up with some comparable titles among
our peers.  (Maybe "Principal Software Engineer", or something with
"Fellow" in it.  Other organizations apparently use "Staff Software
Engineer" but I'm not a fan of that. [1])  But those are details...
 --scott

[1] see "Fellow" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_title ; also
see
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/117179/what-is-the-job-title-hierarchy-amongst-software-engineersfor