On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM, John Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How true. Alex asked because of a major upgrade problem on Wikisource which
> interrupted almost everyone. See wikisource-l for details.
>
> I think there are times when a community would like a mass notice of some
> sort, and it will differ based on the project and community size and the
> likely impact of the upgrade.

Agreed; while Tech news can help communicate general technical news to
Wikimedians, it isn't supposed to be a substitute for targeted
communication with specific wikis or language communities.

Ultimately, it's the responsibility of the developer (or their product
manager / community liaison if they're lucky enough to have one) to
make sure users are properly informed of a major technical change
they've made. I'm also available to support developers who need help
disseminating such information, but I can't do that unless someone
asks :)

--
Guillaume Paumier