On 12/09/2013 08:33 PM, Tyler Romeo wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Gabriel Wicke <gwi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Are you sure this is still the case?
>> https://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=2315 seems to suggest that
>> this was fixed in V8 last year.
>>

> Not sure if it's related, but looking at the bleeding edge compiler.cc code
> directly, it explicitly turns off optimizations inside the eval compiler.
> [0]

At least in Chromium 31 and Firefox 25 nested scopes *are* optimized:

http://jsperf.com/eval-vs-function-fib

In Chromium 31 the self-executing eval'ed code is slightly faster than
even the native fib. Without the function wrapper the code is not
optimized.

Firefox 25 seems to optimize all three versions almost equally well,
although my data is a bit noisy as a backup is currently running in the
background.

Gabriel