Hello everyone,

It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Sherah Smith[1] has joined
the Wikimedia Foundation as Fundraising Engineer in Features.

Before joining us, Sherah was a full stack software engineer at Hackbright
Academy[2] helping write a lot of their curriculum development and engineering
fellowship software. She also did a brief stint as a front-end developer at
yerdle.com on some of their campaigns. She was a referral through Ryan Kaldari,
and managed some time during small amounts of her super busy schedule at
Hackbright to talk to the FR-tech team and see how truly awesome they are. Long
ago (2010), she received her B.S. in computer science at Evergreen State
College.

Sherah will be working in Fundraising Tech as a front-end engineer. So expect
some amazingly cool visualization stuff coming from the annual fundraiser,
followed by super less annoying payment processing pages, and such. She also
will bug you about opportunities to learn more stuff here.

When she isn’t making Fundraising awesome, she can be found writing and
performing comedy in various forms, reading excruciatingly depressing novels,
and hiking all around the Bay Area. She is also perpetually hacking on things,
especially ridiculous apps and games in MeteorJS. Her spirit animal is the
pizzacat.

Oh, by the way, don’t be an idiot like me and pronounce her name correctly—it’s
not sher-a, but she-ra, “just like the princess of power.”[5]

As you have guessed from my usual tardiness, her first official day was Monday,
December 9. I know you’re thinking, “Only a few days late? What is going on
Terry?” Well there is a running pool that Erik has a little spreadsheet in his
computer brain of his to pester us Directors to actually announce the staff we
hire and I finally figured it’s useless to procrastinate in order to fight the
Man.

Please join me in a belated welcome of Sherah Smith to the Wikimedia
Foundation. :-)

Take care,
Terry

[1]: http://sherahsmith.com/
[2]: http://www.hackbrightacademy.com/
[3]: https://yerdle.com/
[4]: http://sherahsmith.tumblr.com/
[5]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Ra

terry chay  최태리
Director of Features Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation
“Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum
of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”

p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
m: +1 (408) 480-8902
e: tc...@wikimedia.org
i: http://terrychay.com/