On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Chris Steipp <cste...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I was talking with Tom Lowenthal, who is a tor developer. He was trying to
> convince Tilman and I that IP's were just a form of collateral that we
> implicitly hold for anonymous editors. If they edit badly, we take away the
> right of that IP to edit, so they have to expend some effort to get a new
> one. Tor makes that impossible for us, so one of his ideas is that we shift
> to some other form of collateral-- an email address, mobile phone number,
> etc. Tilman wasn't convinced, but I think I'm mostly there.

This is a viable idea. Email addresses are a viable option considering they
take just as much (if not a little bit more) effort to change over as IP
addresses. We can take it even a step further and only allow email
addresses from specific domains, i.e., we can restrict providers of
so-called "throwaway emails". Probably won't accomplish too much, but in
the end it's all just a means of making it more difficult for vandals. It
will never be impossible.

> We probably don't want to do that work in MediaWiki, but with OAuth, anyone
> can write an editing proxy that allows connections from Tor, ideally
> negotiates some kind of collateral (proof of work, bitcoin, whatever), and
> edits on behalf of the tor user. Individuals can still be held accountable
> (either blocked on wiki, or you can block them in your app), or if your app
> lets too many vandals in, we'll revoke your entire OAuth consumer key.

It is definitely outside of core scope, but is it within OAuth scope? If
anything I think it would be some sort of separate extension that relies on
OAuth, but is not actually part of OAuth itself.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science