> People sometimes ask, "Hasn't this already been done?" It would seem that
> it hasn't, which is why so much of the implementing code has to be
designed
> and developed rather than borrowed or reverse-engineered. In some ways,
the
> closest project to this one may have been been the various proprietary
> sites that used the Wikimedia update feed
> service<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_update_feed_service>to
> stay continuously up-to-date with Wikipedia, but to my knowledge none
> of
> them used MediaWiki as their engine, and their inner workings are a
> mystery. Those also tended to be read-only rather than mass collaborative
> sites.

Id say that http://getwiki.net/-GetWiki:1.0 was similar to your "superset"
concept (minus the merging part)

> there will inevitably arise completely Inclupedia-specific matters that
> need to be dealt with in a different venue. Presumably, it'll be necessary
> to create a whole new infrastructure of bug reporting, mailing lists, IRC
> channels, etc. But, I want to get it right from the beginning, since this
> is an opportunity to start from scratch (e.g. maybe there is a better code
> review tool than Gerrit?) I have created Meta-Inclu as a venue for project
> coordination.

Be careful here - well its important to have bug tracker, etc -
concentrating too much on support infrastructure and not enough on the
actual issue at hand is a way that new projects sometimes fail. These types
of things also  tend not to be needed by small just-starting-out projects
in the same way that large projects need them. Of course every project is
different and you are in the best position to evaluate your project's needs.