13.01.2014 14:58, Pavel Astakhov пишет:
Hi! I would like to discuss an idea.

In MediaWiki is not very convenient to docomputingusing the syntax of the wiki. We have to use several extensions like Variables, Arrays, ParserFunctions and others. If there are a lot of computing, such as data processing received from Semantic MediaWiki, the speed of page construction becomes unacceptable. To resolve this issue have to do another extension (eg Semantic Maps displays data from SMW on Maps). Becomes a lot of these extensions, they don't work well with each other and these time-consuming to maintain.

I know about the existence of extension Scribunto, but I think that you can solve this problem by another, more natural way. I suggest using PHP code in wiki pages, in the same way as it is used for html files. In this case, extension can be unificated. For example, get the data from DynamicPageList, if necessary to process, and transmit it to display other extensions, such as Semantic Result Formats.This will give users more freedom for creativity.

In order to execute PHP code safely I decided to try to make a controlled environment. I wrote it in pure PHP, it is lightweight and in future can be included in the core. It can be viewed as an extension Foxway. The first version in branch master. It gives an idea of what it is possible in principle to do and there's even something like a debugger. It does not work very quickly and I decided to try to fix it in a branch develop. There I created two classes, Compiler and Runtime.

The first one processes PHP source code and converts it into a set of instructions that the class Runtime can execute very quickly. I took a part of the code from phpunit tests to check the performance. On my computer, pure PHP executes them on average in 0.0025 seconds, and the class Runtime in 0.05, it is 20 times slower, but also have the opportunity to get even better results. I do not take in the calculation time of class Compiler, because it needs to be used once when saving a wiki page. Data returned from this class is amenable to serialize and it can be stored in the database. Also, if all the dynamic data handle as PHP code, wiki markup can be converted into html when saving and stored in database. Thus, when requesting a wiki page from the server it will be not necessary to build it every time (I know about the cache). Take the already prepared data (for Runtime and html) and enjoy. Cache is certainly necessary, but only for pages with dynamic data, and the lifetime of the objects in it can be greatly reduced since performance will be higher.

I also have other ideas associated with the use of features that provide this realization. I have already made some steps in this direction and I think that all of this is realistic and useful. I'm not saying that foxway ready for use. It shows that this idea can work and can work fast enough. It needs to be rewritten to make it easier to maintain, and I believe that it can work even faster.

I did not invent anything new. We all use the html + php. Wiki markup replaces difficult html and provides security, but what can replace the scripting language?

I would like to know your opinion: is it really useful or I am wasting my time?

Best wishes. Pavel Astakhov (pastakhov).

Do not consider Foxway as PHP interpreter.
Consider it as a faster and more powerful alternative to "Magic words".

Why is it faster?

1) Foxway compiles the source code. ("Magic words" does not). Not important here PHP, LUA or wiki markup. It could be anything. It is important that the compiled code is executed very quickly. (20 times slower than pure PHP)

2) Foxway itself does not touch the data to be operated on, they can be anything. (All data in the "Magic words" only as strings.) It's safe, because foxway can only transmit the data. All responsibility is only on extensions that process these data. All built-in functions that process data, are built-in extensions and can be disabled or replaced by others. They were integrated for convenience only. Foxway uses function "echo" to push data to html page. It is pre-disinfected string or data that gives other extension under their own responsibility (just like "Magic words").

Why is it more powerful?

1) All extensions can be unified. They will do one thing, but do it well. Such extensions will be easier to maintain and develop. We all get a lot of freedom to choose what to use and how. This is the Unix philosophy.

2) Huge number of functions already done, just use them.

3) It should look like script language and it looks like this. "Magic words" looks very confusing and inconvenient for more use.

Why does foxway understand the syntax of PHP code and not the other, such as LUA or Python?
Indeed it could understand any syntax, but I chose PHP for several reasons.
1) Mediawiki is written in PHP, and PHP provides the lexical analysis of the PHP source code and generating tokens. 2) PHP has many useful functions, no better way to give the opportunity to use them, how not to be like inerpretator PHP.
3) PHP is popular.
4) I like PHP :-)

How does this help to make MediaWiki faster?

1) "Magic words" is a bottleneck.
I propose to replace it with a much faster foxway.

2) Inclusion pages is a bottleneck. We began to use a huge number of templates. Many of them are used so often that they cause a huge load on the servers when they are modified. I suggest using the power foxway to reduce the number of templates and make them less used.

What do you think about this?
-- Pavel Astakhov