Hoi,
You say "we have failed miserably". Many fonts are mentioned and they are
all for the Latin script. Many fonts are mentioned and you fail to mention
the Open Dyslexic font.

I know from personal experience that Open Dyslexic makes a difference in
being able to read Wikipedia [1]. We know that many people who want to
write in their own language need web fonts and input methods to do this in
the internet cafes where they write their articles.

This proves the point that webfonts does what it is there for; provide an
ability where there is none.

This whole huha of providing font support for the Latin script is stupid
unless a font does NOT support the characters needed to show a particular
language and YES most fonts are incomplete when they are to support all of
the Latin script.

Working towards a more beautiful viewing experience is a secondary
objective. Primary is that our readers and editors can read and edit.

ULS is a huge success in doing what it was intended to do. I am afraid that
we have lost sight of what our primary objective is about.
Thanks,
      GerardM

[1]
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2013/12/the-best-sinterklaas-gift-ever.html