I just wanted to add that in the past, as many people know, we tried a few
different kinds of testing and even hired a usability testing firm to help
us. We conducted research in a lab here in SF and also did some remote
testing, compensating participants with gift cards.

We learned that lab testing is very expensive, complicated and slow. It has
its own unique filtering qualities that prevent certain kinds of people
from participating and encourage others. Participants being in a foreign
environment, using someone else's computer and being run through tasks with
a giant 2-way mirror behind their back and cameras rolling might distort
behavior a bit.

Remote testing done with a facilitator and screen-sharing (like what Steven
is talking about with Google Hangout) is still time consuming, but far
cheaper and easier than lab testing and can be done on shorter notice. It
filters out less tech-savvy people or those who use alternative or legacy
devices like phones, tablets or older computers. It's interesting that it
allows people to use a computer they are already familiar with, but it may
not be relevant to the test.

Remote testing done using usertesting.com is the cheapest and easiest, but
even further filters out less tech-savvy people.

I believe, from lots of first-hand experience and some research on the
subject, that anytime you can get at least 5 users in front of a product
and run them through well written tasks you are going to reveal about 80%
of the problems. Getting fancy with the methodology usually only affects
the final 20%.

I'm really looking forward to having a UX testing person on staff who can
facilitate more testing. I find it very valuable and would like to do more
in the future.

- Trevor