On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Erwin Dokter <er...@darcoury.nl> wrote:

> I feel that I am not being taken seriously. Three times now I have
> indicated what is wrong with this solution, namely that a single font stack
> cannot possibly serve a global website.
>
> I want to ask Steven and Jon how they plan on serving *all* the scripts
> and languages in the world in a *single* font stack. There is not a single
> font in existence that can possibly support all languages.

I think we actually answered this up front at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Typography_refresh#Is_there_a_perfect_font_that_meets_our_readability_needs_in_all_scripts.3F_Do_we_think_this_is_it.3F

Ultimately we're shooting for and getting a lot more consistency and
control over the user experience here, for most users. That doesn't meant
that it's perfect. There is definitely not a single font that is available
everywhere that supports all languages. That's why it's a font stack with
fallbacks. We definitely don't gain more consistency across the experience
by moving back to a situation where the styles basically just define no
style.

> Again, this excercise is completely Latin-centered. Projects using
> different script have no choice but to override to their native fonts, and
> only Europe/Americas is left to 'enjoy' the new font stack.

To add on to what Jon said: we're going to figure this out in discussion
with the communities. I don't think it's the case at all that users "have
no choice" if they want readable text in a non-Latin script. To use CJK as
an example: I actually was able to remove some local hacks that were
necessary before the new version. We'll keep working on it.