((In a separate email since my first on Convergence was long))
Now on DNSChain itself.

The authors like to put down other methods that are attempting to secure
the communications to major websites we use today using .com domains,
ensuring that when we want to talk to Facebook, Google, Wikimedia,
Mozilla, EFF, or "that guy over in the corner who can't afford a
certificate from a CA's website" we know we're talking to the website
instead of having to rely on the broken CA system.
So how does DNSChain secure your communication to a .com site without
relying on CA certificates?
Simple, it doesn't.

When visiting .bit sites using DNSChain it looks up the DNS in Namecoin
using Namecoin's standard for the DNS of .bit domains, which includes
the fingerprints of the site for TLS.
So on https://*.bit/ you "can" get a fairly nice secure connection
(assuming you're not being phished and also either running a dnschain
daemon on your local mahine or running dnscrypt-proxy on your local
machine and connecting to a server running dnschain you can trust 100%).

When visiting the rest of the web... Well it just proxies whatever
normal public dns you tell it to, ;) which defaults to 8.8.8.8 without
supporting the fallback 8.8.4.4.

Their answer to using the rest of the web is to install the okTurtles
plugin into your browser and encrypt communication PGP style. This of
course assumes that both you and the other party have setup an id/* for
yourself in namecoin presumably through okTurtles and are both using
DNSChain+okTurtles, relies on hardcoded per-site hacks to figure out who
you're talking to (or has you manually enter their namecoin/okTurtles
id), of course will probably bypass any WYSIWYG editor or feature the
site has (otherwise the site could intercept the communication you're
encrypting), and the site you're connecting to it hasn't secured isn't
tricking it into selecting the wrong namecoin user.
As for on the current web making sure you're sending your password to
the right person, no one is intercepting your credit card details, who
you're talking to isn't being tracked by anyone but the site itself,
etc... well okTurtles just leaves that up to the same certificate
authorities they don't trust.

Of course before we go try and setup wikipedia.bit (whoopsie, looks like
someone already swiped it) we'll probably want to support a .onion domain.