On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Max Semenik <maxsem.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This proposal makes no sense: all these namespaces _are_ dependent on wiki
> language, so even if you force "Project" down the throats of non-English
> users, project talk would still be e.g. Project_ахцәажәара for Abkhazian
> wikis and so on. Thus, you're attempting to disrupt MediaWiki's
> localizability for the sake of your ephemerous Inclumedia project. I don't
> think this is what our users want.

That's a non sequitur, as there has been no mention of Inclumedia anywhere
in the discussion of this bug, and this proposal has no relation to
Inclumedia. Nor does it have much relevance to to localisation, that I know
of. The option of making Project: the name of the meta namespace is already
available, and works fine when selected; this merely makes it the default
option in the installer, so as to encourage what appears to be a better
practice.

If you choose Abkhazian as the language in the installer, it will give you
option of setting the meta namespace to Проект (Abkhazian for "Project").
This appears to be set in includes/installer/i18n/ru.json. In that file,
the line reads ("config-ns-generic": "Проект",). In MessagesAb.php and so
on, the meta talk namespace name is set by
$namespaceNames[NS_PROJECT_TALK]. In that file, it says NS_PROJECT_TALK
=> '$1_ахцәажәара', If you pick that option, your meta talk namespace will
be Проект_ахцәажәара, as it should be. So it seems like this wouldn't
interfere with localisation in the way you describe.

I don't see how the proposed change forces anything down the throats of
anyone any more than the current situation does; some option or another has
to be the default, so the question is what's the best option to encourage
people to pick.