I have converted my email on using composer to manage a set of library
dependencies for MediaWiki-Core [0] into an RFC [1]. Work is
continuing on the implementation of this project, but there are still
debatable implementation details and the RFC process is meant to not
only validate ideas but leave behind a record of the design decisions
that have been made and trade offs that were considered in the
process.

In particular, the current draft RFC omits discussion of the concept
of library "ownership" for long term updates and security fixes and
could use more detail around the process of forking, patching and
subsequently maintaining a external library. I will attempt to fill in
some of these details as I see them over the next day or so, but now
would be a great time for people with strong ideas or opinions on
these aspects to comment on the talk page.

[0]: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/467520?page=last
[1]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Composer_managed_libraries_for_use_on_WMF_cluster

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA