On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Bryan Davis <bd...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I have converted my email on using composer to manage a set of library
> dependencies for MediaWiki-Core [0] into an RFC [1]. Work is
> continuing on the implementation of this project, but there are still
> debatable implementation details and the RFC process is meant to not
> only validate ideas but leave behind a record of the design decisions
> that have been made and trade offs that were considered in the
> process.
>
> In particular, the current draft RFC omits discussion of the concept
> of library "ownership" for long term updates and security fixes and
> could use more detail around the process of forking, patching and
> subsequently maintaining a external library. I will attempt to fill in
> some of these details as I see them over the next day or so, but now
> would be a great time for people with strong ideas or opinions on
> these aspects to comment on the talk page.
>
> [0]: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/467520?page=last
> [1]:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Composer_managed_libraries_for_use_on_WMF_cluster

Thanks in no small part to a reminder from Sumana, I have updated the
RFC for "Composer managed libraries for use on WMF cluster". Much of
the initial work required for this RFC has now been implemented:

* The mediawiki/core/vendor.git gerrit repository has been created.
* make-wmf-branch has been updated to branch mediawiki/core/vendor and
add it as a submodule on new 1.XwmfY branches.
* The beta cluster is tracking the current HEAD of
mediawiki/core/vendor's master branch.
* The PSR-3 logging interface and Monolog libraries have been added to
mediawiki/core/vendor via gerrit commits.
* Work is progressing to configure Jenkins/Zuul to checkout
mediawiki/core/vendor during test runs.

I would appreciate feedback on the RFC. In particular I would like to
see discussion on how we should manage tracking upstream
vulnerabilities and security patches for deployed libraries. How
should we assign "ownership" of maintaining a particular library and
what techniques can we use to ensure that vulnerabilities are patched
in a timely and responsible manner?

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA