Hey, all-
Our opinion is that the terms of use applies to wikis, and not to non-wiki
activities like code contributions. That said, we can understand why this
would be confusing, so an opt-out that explicitly lists mediawki code
contributions (or even mediawiki as a whole) would be just fine with us.

Luis

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Brian Wolff <bawo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So from what I understand, there's now been an amendment to WMF's
> terms of use to require disclosure of paid "contributions" [1]. Its a
> little unclear how this applies to MediaWiki as a project, but a
> literal reading of the policy makes it seem like MediaWiki is
> included.
>
> * MediaWiki is arguably a project of the Wikimedia foundation. The
> foundation's website says as much [2]
> *A commit/patchset certainly seems like a contribution.
>
> Thus the new policy would require anyone submitting code to use to
> declare who they work for. Personally this seems both unnecessary to
> me, as well as unlikely to be followed. For example, I see no reason
> why some person who uses our software should have to declare who they
> work for when they upstream a bug fix, etc.
>
> I would suggest we follow commons' lead [3], and declare that we do
> not have disclosure requirements for people giving us code.
>
> --bawolff
>
> [1]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Terms_of_Use&diff=0&oldid=90463
> [2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects
> [3]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_comment/Alternative_paid_contribution_disclosure_policy

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*