Indeed, this thread is a bit silly.

If someone wants to make an extension that provides a feature, and someone
else wants to use it, there's nothing wrong with that. But why would such a
thing need proposing?

If the point of Mantle is only to provide a way to bring templates to the
client, then sell it that way. Look at the code in Mantle, and the way it's
been pitched online and in person. It includes other things too, and has
been repeatedly advertised as a general place where any code that is
experimental can be put, while also simultaneously pushing for others to
depend on it.

I have no problem with adding useful functionality to ResourceLoader, even
doing so in an extension. I have a problem with trying to develop, what Jon
himself call, a code "purgatory".

I'm happy to talk in person as well.

- Trevor