Yes that's correct. The Ubuntu package isn't officially supported.
This is more a historical thing than anything else, as a couple years
back one of the packages (I think it was redhat's) decided that moving
the skins directory (This was back before RL, so that included all the
css and JS) to a non-web accessible directory was a good idea. And
most of the other packages were horribly outdated, so all the distro
packages got deemed "unsupported".

Now a days the distro packages are a lot better, but still might be a
little behind the time in terms of version. If you're installing
MediaWiki, my recommendation would be to download the source from
mediawiki.org, and only use your package manager to install
dependencies like apache, mysql, etc. However, the distro packages are
probably fine too.

As for Solaris vs Ubuntu. I'd recommend linux if you have a choice (In
particular mediawiki uses some GNU userland utilities if available
that would definitely be in linux, such as bash, diff3, timeout. I
have no idea if other unixes have all those installed by default).
MediaWiki is probably the most well tested on Ubuntu of any OS (as
that's what WMF uses), but really its pretty OS agnostic.

--bawolff