Where does it say it's unsupported? Some older page, talking about the
distro version? I routinely use MW from tarball on Ubuntu and it's
fine. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Debian/Ubuntu

I'd personally recommend you install the prerequisites then use the
MediaWiki tarball, but the distro 1.19 in recent versions of Ubuntu should be
good (if a bit old).

I have done MW on Solaris and it was an exercise in pain, unless you
use something that resolves dependencies for you. That is to say, a
Linux.

- d.