Hi everyone,

I’d like to announce an organizational change at Wikimedia Foundation
in the  Platform Engineering group.  For those that aren't terribly
interested in how WMF's org chart looks, you can skip the rest of this
email.  :-)

Yesterday, we formalized “Release Engineering” as a team, and promoted
Greg Grossmeier to “Release Team Manager” with everyone on the team
reporting to him.

In addition to Greg, the new team comprises:
* Antoine Musso
* Chris McMahon
* Dan Duvall
* Mukunda Modell
* Rummana Yasmeen
* Sam Reed
* Zeljko Filipin

They are broadly responsible for the lifecycle of code from the point
that a developer is ready to check it in through its deployment on our
site, maintaining the processes and tools that reduce negative user
impact of site software changes while simultaneously making software
change deployment efficient and joyful.

On a more detailed level, here’s just a few things the group is responsible for:
* Code and bug report hosting - currently Gerrit and Bugzilla, but in
the glorious future, Phabricator
* Test infrastructure - the team maintains the Beta Cluster, with help
from TechOps
* Test automation - building the Cucumber/RSpec-based infrastructure
for automating browser tests
* Manual testing - actually looking at the product and making sure it
does what all the robots tell us it should be doing
* Test tools - tools that developers can use to test their own code
such as Vagrant
* Deployment tooling - the infrastructure we use to push code out to
production, like scap