Hi Chris M.,

I understand the difference between functional and reporting relationships.
As I understand it, QA is under RelEng in terms of reporting but
functionally works in a matrix envrionment. That seems consistent with the
OP and the WMF Wiki's pseudo-org chart. Is this your understanding as well?

The everyday difference that this change makes may be trivial, but it makes
sense to me to think of QA (and Security Engineering) as being part of
RelEng.

By the way, Wikimedians are a vocal group when there are problems, and I
take the general quiet of Wikimedia content editors about security and core
stability to mean that security and core QA are in good hands.

Pine

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Chris Steipp <cste...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To clarify, is the QA team now under Release Engineering as Chris'
> comment
> > seems to imply, and how does this org change effect security
engineering?

> For now, I (the only security engineer) am staying in core, although
> much of my role spans both groups. I'll continue working with Chris,
> Greg, and other engineers across the WMF and developer community...

I think it is not accurate to say that "the QA team" is "under Release
Engineering", or that Release Engineering is somehow separate from Core,
and security, and the feature development groups.

Our QA practice reaches into many aspects of software development at WMF,
and RelEng serves everyone who needs to get software to Wikipedia.  We have
a minimum of formal gates and handoffs and such; instead we try to put in
place general processes (build, test, deploy) between your local
development environment and production in order to get new features to
users as quickly and again, as *safely*, as possible.

-Chris