I agree, it's a matter of consensus which is definitely beyond any technical discussion.

Vito

Inviato con AquaMail per Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Il 30 settembre 2014 15:55:34 Amir Ladsgroup <ladsgr...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

Hey,
Overall you are suggesting that WMF changes the policy about anonymity and
accept anonymous users. In my view it's not a technical thing and it should
be brought up in wikimedia-l.

BTW: I need to add something about anonymous users and how the system
treats them. When you block all open proxies you close the gate for
sock-puppeteers, zombies and specially trolls which I'm grateful but If you
change the prospective and see the issues as an Iranian, Chinese or other
similar countries the whole thing changes. In these countries using proxies
and "anti-filter" is as common as the using internet. People are using it
literally all the time. as an obvious result, Persian Wikipedia and Chinese
Wikipedia are losing users in great numbers. A troll-minimized environment
came with a great cost for us. Even though Wikipedia is not blocked (at
least in Iran) but switching off the proxy (and dropping all the
connection) just to make an edit simply doesn't worth it for millions of
users.
And it gets worse: Even trusted users in these Wikis that are editing in
sensitive materials [1] can't get the global ip-block exempt right easily
and we see the right as a sensitive right (which it shouldn't be at least
for Iranian and Chinese users).

[1]: By saying sensitive material I don't mean some random political
articles. I mean things that can cause death penalty and execution. We
already saw that for bloggers and facebook users that wrote things against:
leaders, Islam, homosexuality, or even history(!) and they faced death. (If
you want I can show you the news in reliable sources)

Best

Amir