On 10/02/2014 09:07 PM, Kevin Wayne Williams wrote:
> Anybody that risks death by editing Wikipedia is an idiot: no privacy
> system is secure enough and no information is important enough to make
> that a reasonable decision.

I wouldn't have put it that way, but I've been saying something to that
effect to sockmasters for some time when they pull out the "my security
is in peril" card -- editing Wikipedia is an intrinsically *public*
activity, and if doing so places you at risk of harm then you should not
be editing at all as no technology or privacy policy will protect you to
that level.

> [...] Recognizing that it is nothing more but a
> repository of pop culture would allow us to prioritize protecting the
> site over the imaginary right to privately edit articles about Disney
> starlets.

That, on the other hand, is a both unfair and unwarranted slur on the
work of countless volunteers.  Even those that /do/ work on topics of
popular culture bring value, but that characterization is nothing short
of a demeaning insult to all -- including those volunteers who slave
away on the parts of the encyclopedia even the snottiest of elitist must
admit has value to mankind.

Please read he (coincidentally topical)
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-October/074792.html
before you embarass yourself further.  (And a worth of thanks perhaps
couched as an apology to those volunteers might be in order).

-- Marc