I have posted a new RFC [0] related to the "librarization" project [1]
that Kunal, Chad, Aaron, myself and others have been working on for
the last quarter. The intent of the RFC is to establish a reasonable
set of guidelines for how to manage a library project. The core idea
behind the librarization project and this RFC is that MediaWiki will
benefit from a more strict separation of components and many of those
components solve general programming problems that will also be of
interest to non-MediaWiki developers.

The project has done some initial work to pull CSSJanus and CDB out of
MediaWiki and make them available as Composer managed libraries. We
then added these libraries as requirements in the MediaWiki
composer.json manifest and updated mediawiki/vendor.git per the
Composer managed libraries RFC [2]. The new RFC attempts to provide a
roadmap for additional projects undertaken by the WikiMedia community
in this direction. The current draft focuses mainly on the
infrastructure that a new library project will need to use (git
hosting, code review, issue tracking) and the policy decisions that
need to be made (license, code style). There is some discussion of the
actual mechanics of extracting a library but they are a bit handwavy
prior to the point of having the classes that are to be extracted
isolated in the includes/libs directory.

I'd appreciate feedback on the RFC either here on the mailing list or
on the RFC's talk page. I'm especially interested to hear constructive
input on which sections may be too proscriptive and which may err in
the opposite direction and be too loose.

[0]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Guidelines_for_extracting,_publishing_and_managing_libraries
[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Library_infrastructure_for_MediaWiki
[2]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Composer_managed_libraries_for_use_on_WMF_cluster

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA