Hallo,

I am a bit of advocate for VisualEditor in my home Wikipedia (Hebrew), and
I ran into a user with a curious problem: He is an experienced editor, and
he was positive about trying to edit with VE, but it didn't work for him.

After a bit of poking around I found that he has a common.js in his user
space that had a syntax error. He probably tried to add some user script
once, did it incorrectly, and didn't bother to continue. This didn't break
any other JS-based features, at least not in a way that he noticed, but it
did break VE.

It's possible that he's not the only one.

Is there a way to lint all the user-space JS pages to see that user don't
break their own environments? Even a basic syntax check would be nice. One
could say that users should be responsible for their user spaces, but in
practice some users just copy some code without understanding what they
did, and this can help them get rid of cruft.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬