> [...] Perhaps people
> who get most of their news from this mailing list are [...]

Why does this matter? What other sources are there?

It seems you're saying there is a divide between the main development community (on this list) and some other unspecified group which communicates by some other unspecified means. If so, what you need is not a dictator or an architect or a process, it's a reunification.

Whoever has knowledge of such a divide can help with simple steps, in particular by publishing a "map" outlining this divide on a mediawiki.org page.

> [...] the vast majority
> of the WMF staff developers, even if they were unpopular here on this
> list?  Given our staff/not ratio [...]

See above.

> [...] It could be that the general pessimism about the direction
> of MediaWiki (or lack thereof) is not shared out here. [...]

See above.

> have their own ideas about
> what things should be priorities, but have no expectation that those
> ideas will be considered for resourcing.

The solution here seems rather straightforward, if not simple: ensure the architecture committee actually feels empowered. The WMF could promise to not invest resources on something that the committee officially declared a bad idea, for instance.

Nemo