On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Brian Gerstle <bgers...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> TL;DR; this discussion is great, but I think moving to docs/wikis/etc.
> instead of continuing the thread could improve communication and give the
> people who end up working on this something to reference later. could just
> be my n00b-ness, but I thought others might share the sentiment.
>
> I'm still new here, so please excuse me for possibly going against
> convention, but does anyone else think it would be beneficial to move this
> problem & proposal into a living document (RFC, wiki, google doc,
> whatever)?  In doing so, I hope we can:
>
>    1. Keep track of what the actual problems are along with the proposed
>    solution(s)
>    2. Group related concerns together, making them easier for those voicing
>    them to be heard while also facilitating understanding and resolution
>    3. Give us something concrete to go back to whenever we decide to
>    dedicate resources to solving this problem, whether it's the next mobile
>    apps sprint or something the mobile web team needs more urgently
>    4. Prevent the points raised in the email (or the problem itself) from
>    being forgotten or lost in the deluge of other emails we get every day
>
> I don't know about you, but I can't mentally juggle the multiple problems,
> implications, and the great points everyone is raising—which keeping it in
> an email forces me to do.
>
> Either way, looking forward to discussing this further and taking steps to
> solve it in the near term.

+1 This sort of major design change is exactly the sort of thing that
I think the RfC process is good at helping with. Start with a straw
man proposal, get feedback from other engineers and iterate before
investing in code changes. The sometime frustrating part is that
feedback doesn't always come as fast as Product and/or the team would
like but we can try to accelerate that by promoting the topic more
often.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA