Hi I have uploaded the patch https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/189294/ here so
which ever license that gets pick the commit can get updated for the new
license so if we decide to change to AGPLv3 then the commit can be updated for
that license or any other one.

     On Saturday, 7 February 2015, 23:49, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com>
wrote:

 On 7 February 2015 at 23:39, wctaiwan <wctaiwan+li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IANAL, but if there is some flexibility here, I would argue that extensions
> should *not* be considered derivatives. Legally, because extensions do not
> contain MediaWiki code (beyond using the programming API provided by core
> classes);

Ah, good! Yeah, programming to a provided and documented API should be
fine. (With WordPress, themes and plugins are very much programs
running in the same process, etc.)

> in practice, because we have many extensions licensed under
> licenses that are incompatible with GPL,[1] and I don't think we should
> require people to choose a GPL-compatible licence should they want to write
> MediaWiki extensions.
> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:MIT_licensed_extensions

- d.