Cool :-)

What about extensions? Would they count as derivatives of MediaWiki
for license purposes? (I suspect they would, given Automattic regards
WordPress themes and plugins as derivatives and requires them to be
GPL.)

This would mean that, if MediaWiki went AGPL, in-house extensions
would need to be made available on the site. This would lead to people
running out-of-date MediaWiki so as not to reveal their s3kr1t sauce -
which is a terrible reason, but you know it'll happen.

I have no personal objection to AGPL and quite like the idea, but the
extensions issue springs to my mind 'cos I'm adminning a site with a
few extensions which are "you can use this locally" (i.e. non-free)
that I doubt I could get permission to release, and that I doubt I
could personally rewrite from scratch.

At this point I suspect we need a lawyer who knows free software
licenses weighing in. Luis, are you able to give an informal opinion
at this point in the thread? (cc'd)

- d.