First of all, this is why I am discussing it here, to avoid having
multiple people work on same thing.

Abuses:
I would consider this to be more like something like "minor edit" for
which you also don't need a permission. People who deal with vandals
probably shouldn't filter out users based on things like "minor edit"
or "tool edit", but rather on reputation, like huggle does. This is
basically just going to be useful for regular wikipedia users who just
want to filter out automated edits. For example in RFA you are
required to have some non-automated edit count. This would make it
easier to figure out things like this. You would be able to easily
filter out edits you are not interested in. I can't think of a better
use for this, but maybe there would be some.

Not sure if it worked for AWB, Twinkle or Huggle:
I don't know twinkle, but as far as I know both AWB and huggle are
using API's to interact with mediawiki. Huggle 3 is using ONLY api,
unless for regular, single page rendering. So if there was option in
API's for this (that is what I actually propose here) tools could just
add some parameter to API's url and that would flag the edit as tool
edit. It would be optional. If this is only going to work for OAuth
based tools, then it wouldn't work for non browser based tools.