On 2015-02-11 10:06 AM, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And, as a result, since MediaWiki is licensed under the v2+ rather than
>> v3, we cannot accept Apache-licensed code into core.
>>
> We cannot.  But our users can.  And our users can also combine with GPL
> v2-only code.
>
> The set of acceptable core licenses is thus *more* restrictive ("GPL v2+"
> and those licenses compatible with it) so that our users have *more*
> freedom (license combined works under GPLv2, GPLv3, AGPL (maybe), etc).
> That's how it works.  It's not hard.
>  --scott
I know at least one Apache licensed library that would be really good to
have in core (see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Change_LESS_compilation_library).

So I'm a little more concerned about our ability to put Apache licensed
code into core than a distributor's ability to bundle MediaWiki with
GPLv2-only code.