IMO we should strongly discourage use of multiple accounts with the same
email to the point of forbidding it in software for new accounts.[1]

Figuring out how to migrate those old accounts is something that needs to
be considered and worked out, but it shouldn't hold up work on making the
login/reset form accept email addresses for the common case.

[1] I personally have a bunch of test accounts that probably have the same
email, and I'm sure some folks have bots and other things set up similarly.
Note that many email providers including Gmail allow email aliases with "+"
and something else after your mailbox name, such as 'johndoe+testing99 at
wikimedia.org'; I've used this in the past to have separate accounts on one
email for Apple and other providers as well.

-- brion