That's what I was going to do originally, but then I looked at my profile
picture on en wiki[1] I saw this message:

"Do not copy this file to Wikimedia Commons.

While the license of this image or media file, uploaded and used on (a)
Wikipedia contributor(s) user page(s), may be compliant with Commons, its
usefulness to other projects is unlikely. It should not be copied to
Commons unless a specific other usage is anticipated."

I took that to mean that profile pictures in general were discouraged from
being placed in commons. If that's the case, then it makes sense for
profiles on meta to have the same policy.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marielle_volz.jpg