You have to think that the primary audience dev.wikimedia.org wants to
attract is the big population of developers that want to build their own
projects and know Wikipedia just as users. These developers will ask what
Wikimedia can do for them before thinking what can they do for Wikimedia.
Contributing to our projects it's not their motivation and maybe not their
thinking at all. At least today.

Yet... by using our APIs they will be contributing to spread Wikimedia's
free knowledge, and maybe once they learn more about our APIs and our
projects they will also contribute to improve that knowledge sending
actions from their users in our direction. A portion of those developers
might miss a specific feature in an API, or a specific API altogether, and
then we can show them our FOSS side, and ask them to share their plans and
send us patches.

Still, for each third party developer that ends up contributing code to our
projects there will be many more that will remain as third party
developers, busy with their own projects. However, if they keep using our
APIs more and better, they will also contribute more and better to our
mission.

We haven't done much for third party developers, and this dev.wikimedia.org
project attempts to change this trend.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:53 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> I don't see how pointing people to the
> Wikidata home page or Commons home page or a list of Wikimedia projects is
> helpful at all and these are the three most prominent links on the page.

Most of these developers don't know what Wikimedia has to offer apart from
Wikipedia. They have never heard of Commons or Wikidata, and they have
never really thought that they could get from us repositories of media and
structured data.

I agree that the homepage of these projects is not the best destination,
but this is a pragmatic prototype using what is available. Now imagine
that, instead, these three links would point to three pages, each of them
introducing these areas (basically text, media, data) and highlighting what
developers can do with them.

P.S. If it sounds as though I'm frustrated

Note that probably the complementary side of your frustration is the
frustration of designers and others trying to improve Wikimedia and its
projects, only to find a strong resistance to change almost every time that
fresh ideas are proposed. In our case here, currently we are not very
successful at attracting third party developers to use our APIs, definitely
not at the scale that one would expect considering Wikipedia's relevance.
We welcome ideas and help from people willing to solve this problem. We are
happy to take risks trying solutions, even if that means that we will make
some mistakes along the way.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil