On "why is this necessary":

Earlier this year, Nick Coghlan wrote an excellent blog post on why he
considers fighting abuse in open source communities (Linux, in particular)
key to getting the best contributions and making his projects the strongest
they can be. A quote:

"Instead, what I do care about, passionately, is *helping the best ideas
win* (where I include "feasible" as part of my definition of "best"). Not
the "best ideas from people willing to tolerate extensive personal abuse".
The best ideas anyone is willing to share with me, period. And I won't hear
those ideas unless I help create environments where all participants are
willing to speak up, not just those that are prepared to accept a
blistering verbal barrage from a powerful authority figure as a possible
consequence of attempting to participate."

The whole post is worth a read:
http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2015/01/abuse-is-not-ok.html

Wikitech is not LKML, but a new contributor isn't going to know that (and
still, they can look through the archives and find personal attacks!). A
CoC is one way that we communicate that that's not how we act, and that's
not how we tolerate other people acting.

-Frances