We can indeed fall back to TTS if the spoken article is not available, or
offer a choice between TTS and the spoken version. The intention was for
this to be a quick win of surfacing a useful, if lesser-known, facet of
Wikipedia content.

That being said, this doesn't necessarily need to be a blocker for
transitioning the Content Service to Parsoid. If all else fails, we can
ascertain the audio URL on the client side based on the File page name.  As
for transcodings of video files, we already make a separate API call to
retrieve them, so perhaps we can continue to do that until we're able to
get them directly from Parsoid?
It sounds like a more pressing issue right now is the srcset attributes...

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Luis Villa <lvi...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Bernd Sitzmann <be...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > It looks like Mobile Apps and Mobile Web have different priority
> > > requirements from Parsoid here. Looking at
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spoken_articles, I also see
> that
> > > there are only 1243 spoken wikipedia articles (that are probably not
> all
> > > the latest version of these articles). It also doesn't look like the
> > video
> > > player works currently in mobile web or in mobile apps (except maybe
> > > Android ?).
> >

> With due respect for the hard work people have put in on that project, is
> there any indication Spoken Articles has any traction and will grow beyond
> that ~1K articles? Wouldn't using Android's TTS API to read the most
> up-to-date version of the article be a much better user experience (35M
> articles, always up-to-date, instead of 1K articles, almost always out of
> date?)
>
> Luis
>

> --
> Luis Villa
> Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> Wikimedia Foundation
> *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.*

Dmitry Brant
Mobile Apps Team (Android)
Wikimedia Foundation