Hi MZMcBride,

The hypothetical here is that I have a binary choice between Echo and Flow.
In practice it's possible to develop them in parallel. With the
hypothetical in mind, I'll outline why I would prioritize Echo.

My thinking is that Echo is used widely on many, many wikis and is helpful
to users of all skill levels. It must be years since I've heard someone say
that they find the nature of Echo to be problematic. By contrast, the
reception to Flow is more mixed. Also, as some of us are discussing with
Lila, it may be feasible to extend VE  to talk pages and/or give some love
to the wikimarkup editor at less expense and with less disruption than the
expense and disruption involved with converting talk pages to Flow pages.

From a communications persoective, I asked recently for clarification on
the status of Flow and no one from WMF answered my question. If there is so
much uncertainty or disorganization with respect to Flow that users don't
get answers to questions that are asked in prominent venues, that makes me
wonder all the more what is happening, and therefore inclined to oppose
investing more resources in a black box until community questions are
answred.

Flow has its supporters and I think that keeping it maintained and healthy
on wikis where the communities like it is probably wise. Given the choice
of investing more resources into further development of a product that has
mixed reviews, is used on only some wikis, and about which community
questions aren't answered, seems questionable to me when investing in a
well-accepted and widely-used tool (Echo) is an alternative.

Pine