On 07/12/15 06:29, Bartosz Dziewoński wrote:
> To add to what Alex and Florian said, the simple database lookup to
> check page existence is not actually that simple. When parsing a page,
> the query to determine link color (and to mark links to non-existent,
> redirect or disambig pages) is done in batches of 1000 links, after
> the whole page has been parsed and we know all the pages it links to.
> Special pages that have lists of links use a similar method.

Also, when you make a red link, and then someone creates the page,
people expect the link to turn blue straight away. That's implemented
using the pagelinks table -- when a page is created, we use pagelinks
to find all pages with red links to that page, update all their
page_touched fields, and purge them from Varnish, so that all the
links will turn blue in under a second.

It's possible to do that for interwiki links, but it increases the
amount of time it would take to implement such a feature. We currently
don't have a way to efficiently find all interwiki links to a page, so
one would have to be added.

-- Tim Starling