This might be a good discussion for the dev summit?

I talked to Moriel about this a couple of days ago. I too am a bit
concerned and feel like this needs a dedicated team, preferably
without a product to manage and mediate/prioritise requests against it
as otherwise the library will be biased towards a single product
rather than all our products.

Ideally, I feel that we need a team determining how it evolves and its
architecture. A big rewrite to split out OOjs UI into
components/making it support mobile /adding a new component to OOjs UI
is not something that should be done in an ad-hoc nature - it should
be done by people with a vision of what this library needs to grow
into, the problem it is solving and knowledge of its history and
mistakes of the past - guardians as such - ensuring that the library
is the best it can be.

I worry about its success if arranged in a cross-functional skunkworks team.