Dear readers of the Wikitech mailing list,

I am a member of the Wikipedia community and I have started a project to
reduce the environmental impact of the Wikimedia movement
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact>. The main idea is to
use renewable energy for running the Wikimedia servers and the main reason
for this is that by doing so, Wikipedia can set a great example for
environmental responsibility in the entire internet sector.

My project was started after Greenpeace USA published a report
<http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/global-warming/click-clean/> about the
energy consumption of the biggest sites on the Internet in 2015 and in
which Wikipedia, to my astonishment, performed poorly, receiving a "D"
score and only passing because of the Wikimedia Foundation's openness about
its energy consumption.

I would very much like to change that and set up a page called "Environmental
impact <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact>" on Meta. I
have already discussed the issue with a few people both from the Wikimedia
Foundation's management and from the Wikimedia community and have received
positive responses.

In order to further advance the project, I would like to learn more about
how much energy Wikipedia's servers use. As far as I can tell, these
figures are not public, but I believe they could very well be.

Also, I am interested to learn how changing a server site's energy sources
can be carried out on the operations side since the United States energy
sector hasn't been completely deregulated yet.

So, thank you very much for any comments! Maybe there also is an even
better forum to discuss these questions?

Finally, if you would like to support my project, please consider adding
your name to this list
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact#Show_your_support>.
Thank you.
Kind regards,