So based on notes from Niklas on the bug, it looks like there are two main
problems:

1) VE treats <translate>...</translate> chunks as uneditable extension
blobs.

2) Some/many pages use <translate>...</translate> incorrectly: spanning
paragraphs, markup level boundaries, etc.

So problem 1) can be improved in two ways:
1a) Have VE treat <translate>...</translate> as more or less like plaintext
or a div or something
1b) Much fancier sub-document editing

Fixing problem 2) means refactoring broken pages in ways that presumably
would require at least some of their translations to be re-created.

I don't know whether 2) is caused by problems in the translation interface,
or by people further editing the pages without a detailed understanding of
how the <translate> and <!--T:123--> markup bits work, or a combination of
both.

-- brion