On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The last couple years we've done a big MediaWiki Dev Summit in January,
> around the time of the Wikimedia Foundation all-hands meeting. Invitations
> have been fairly broad to known developers, but there's a very strong
> feeling that newbies, non-technical people, and in general *the people
> MediaWiki is created and maintained for* are not welcome.
>
> I think we should change this.
>
> I would really like a broader MediaWiki Dev Summit that asks our users to
> participate, and asks "developers" to interact with them to prioritize and
> work on things that really matter to them.
>
> I want template authors, Lua module authors, template users, power editors,
> folks working on the lines of defense for vandalism patrol and copyvio
> checking. I want people with opinions on discussion systems. I want people
> who have been editing for years and have experience with what works and
> what doesn't. I want people who wish they could edit but have a bad
> experience when they try, and want to share that with us so we can help
> make it better.

Hear, hear.

To make the discussion concrete, here are some issues I've had at past dev
summits, which may also answer the question "what would these non-devs do?":

* In a big session on services-oriented architectures, a lot of time was
spent theorizing about what small wikis who do their hosting on
shared-hosting services do, and whether various solutions we were proposing
would make it easier or harder for these non-WMF users of mediawiki.  *But
none of these users were at the summit.*  So no decisions could ultimately
be made, as the necessary affected parties were not present.

* I've tried to have conversations about the role of LanguageConverter and
Content Translation at each dev summit.  However, no one was present at the
dev summit who used LanguageConverter on their home wiki, and few folks who
rely on Content Translation routinely.  (Maybe one or two were present, but
not enough to have a reasonable discussion about the future of these
features.)  For better or worse, previous dev summits have had weak
representation from those who are not American users of
projects-other-than-enwiki.  (Again, not that it as 100% American enwiki
users, just that not enough others were present to constitute a reasonable
quorum for discussing issues affecting them.)

* The parsing team has various proposals for improvements to the template
system.  We don't really have a quorum of the "power users" of the wiki
projects who write and use nontrivial templates.

* In general the dev summit is pretty quite about projects other than
wikipedia!  Wikisource/wikibooks/wikitionary/commons/etc have lots of
interesting technical work to be done, which is poorly represented by WMF
employees.

 --scott

ps. I am sympathetic to the idea that this sort of broader conversation
about technical topics might fit better at wikimania.  But the last few
wikimanias have been moving in the opposite direction, to being less
WMF-driven, and I actually thought Esino Lario was a quite nice example of
how that can work.  No one I talked to at Esino Lario felt that "not enough
WMF staff were present" or that they couldn't get WMF answers to their
questions when they needed.  But this trend is opening a gap between WMF
engineering and our user community, which we should try to bridge somehow
or other.