I edited the topic on wiki (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WikiDev17/Topic_ideas#Collaboration) a
little bit, to separate out the "Technical Collaboration" and "Editor
Collaboration" pieces a bit.  Both are interesting, although I feel like
the target audiences would diverge greatly.  It would be most interesting
to explore how those subtopics could be profitably combined -- why not
dogfood our own tools to do code review with the same mechanisms we use to
review wikitext diffs? -- but I admit that may well be a step too far.
Perhaps simple juxtaposition at the summit will accomplish the desired
cross-fertilization.

It is perhaps unfortunate that we have an existing team named
"Collaboration".  It creates a whiff of toe-stepping and cookie-licking
danger to have a topic eponymous with an existing team.  The page you cite (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Collaboration) is actually quite useful in
distinguishing the broad idea of "collaboration" from the actual remit (and
great work!) of the currently-constituted team.

Part of why I suggested this summit topic was that I felt that a proper
response to its challenge would of necessity be *cross team* and *whole
org*.  I think our individual parsing, editing, reading, collaboration, etc
teams do a reasonable job setting their own goals.  But what is missing is
the sort of discussion and decision-making that can occur at a broad
summit, where we reconcile (for example):

* improvements to discussion pages (collaboration team)
* real-time collaborative editing (editing team)
* the introduction of "user groups" backing WikiProjects to the core DB
(mythical "core team")
* broading the notion of "a revision" in core DB (mythical "core team")
* real-time reading (reading team)
* social factors in UX to preserve and strengthen and diversify our
community and stop harassment (community engagement, design teams)
* existing workflow mechanisms and projects (collaboration team, mythical
wikiedu team)
* better diff tools (collaboration team + editing team)
* draft namespace/merge tools (i don't think anyone owns this)

So perhaps naming the topic "Collaboration" is as much a mistake as it
would be to name a topic "Editing", "Discovery", "Reading", etc.---although
I don't have another name to propose---since the goal for a summit topic
should be to identify opportunities to solve problems which have proven
difficult to resolve with only smaller-scale collaboration inside our
existing team structures.  To identify fixed points of consensus upon which
we can, Atlas-like, shift the entire organization. :)
  --scott

(http://cscott.net)