(Now forking this from the "Changes in colors of user interface" thread.)

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your email.

I don't think that our interface evolves particularly rapidly, our
interface makes me feel like it's 2003 again. I'd like to have our
interface's usability and our workflows be much easier for our users,
both in terms of learning how to use our tools and in terms of
providing guidance about how to adhere to community policies and
norms. However, editing Wikipedia and its sister sites is often much
more complex than posting an update to Facebook, and WMF lacks the
design and engineering resources of big tech companies, so I think
that we're likely to lag behind Facebook and Google for usability for
the foreseeable future.

The issue which I am attempting to address is not a UI change itself
(good or bad) but rather communication about proposed and upcoming UI
changes. Like many other help resources, the videos and their
accompanying materials (such as a quick-reference card that you
mentioned) can be updated with varying degrees of ease and cost. If
people know about changes well in advance, this will make updating
those resources a much smoother experience both for the maintainers
and for the people who rely on those resources for information.

My proposal would be that proposed UI changes which affect large
proportions of the user base should be announced 3 months in advance.
This would provide plenty of opportunity for discussion,
synchronization, and testing of proposed changes. These announcements
could be neatly organized in Tech News, and Tech News could be sent to
this mailing list as well as posted to individuals' personal talk
pages and individual wikis' village pumps. This would likely make Tech
News be a lengthier publication than it is today, but I would find
notifications like these to be highly valuable and I think that other
community members would too. English Wikipedia for awhile had a
wiki-specific list of proposed changes (largely focused on policy, but
also related to technical matters and community organization) that ran
in the Signpost; what I envision for Tech News would be similar except
with a longer time horizon and aimed at technical and design
audiences.

What do you think?

Pine