Thanks for the comprehensive responses.

*I can certainly stillsee the possible benefit of having a full fledged
build step for core,skins, and extensions. It is something that should be
thought about abit before diving right into an implementation though. One
thing toconsider is if what would be best is a packaging step that leads to
atarball or similar artifact that can be dropped into a runtimeenvironment
for MediaWiki or if instead it would be better to have aunified post-deploy
build step that operates across MediaWiki core andthe entire collection of
optional extensions and skins deployed tocreate a particular wiki.*

Totally agree, it is something that needs careful consideration. Even if
the choice is to have a per-extension packaging step that produces a
deployable, it would be great to have shared conventions across repos to
run it (something like a *scripts/build{.sh,.bat}* that internally performs
the specific build steps of the project.

If that exists, then we can build into core the build step that coordinates
those sub-build steps where needed.

*One of the awesome features of working on a PHP codebase is the quickcycle
of making a change and seeing it live in your test environment.Today that
is mostly a matter of saving an edit and hitting refresh ina browser. It
would be sad to lose that, so the build system that isdevised should also
provide a path that allows a git clone to be aviable wiki.*

That is indeed nice, but it is already the case of many extensions and
repos that have build steps for frontend code (see grunt and makefiles in
extensions), it is just that we run them adhoc in developer's machines and
use git's master as the deploy tarball.

This means that the deploy tarball has built assets that depend on who
built and committed something, and whatever tools they had on their local
system (node, npm, grunt and node_modules libraries), instead of in a
reproducible place like our CI machines.

For whatever reason, the reality is the front-end world has moved to node
based tooling and build steps, so all the great tools that are well
maintained are run in a build step (unless you run node.js on your server
and plug it in there). That's why many projects use grunt and tools from
npm for linting, optimizing images, and other tasks.

I think that coming up with a standard build process would allow us to do
away with the adhoc way of building things into the repository on master,
and allow us to painlessly introduce some very interesting improvements to
front-end tooling.