Hi,

On 08/31/2017 02:20 PM, Fæ wrote:
> +1 on appearing to be a slippery slope and benefiting from wider,
> political, discussion.

Just to clarify, I fully plan on turning this into a wider discussion on
Meta or alternative venue if/when pursuing this further. I was just
trying to use wikitech-l as a place to gauge initial reactions from.

Where do you think the slippery slope would lead us to? I don't think
we're ever going to tell our users to start using GNU/Linux or something.

> I've promoted Wikimedia and projects as being deliberately agnostic.

I think we aim for this, but this isn't the actual case when it comes to
browser support. For some time Chromium users had better load
performance than Firefox users due to how localStorage was used, and in
another case Opera 12 users couldn't access some pages with apostrophes
in them.

In this case, I'm deliberately proposing that we do take a side and
align ourselves with Mozilla/Firefox. The main takeaway I got from the
Wikimania session I mentioned earlier was that all of us free software
and open content projects need to work together and support each other.

We've already seen the open web lose when Mozilla gave into EME, simply
because it didn't have enough market share to actually make a
difference[1]. I'm afraid of the future where we no longer have an ally
who can defend and push the shared Wikimedian ideals in the web browser
space.

> Strategically, locking Wikimedia into fixed relationships with other
> organizations with their own drives and timelines, is going to
> increase risks downstream.

I do agree this adds risks to us, like in terms of public image if
something bad happens regarding Firefox. But I don't think it should be
a locked/fixed relationship, it should be something that we can say "no
this isn't working" and turn off whenever we need to.

[1]
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/05/14/drm-and-the-challenge-of-serving-users/

-- Legoktm