Just to throw in some other datasets to look at:

The US .gov publishes all browser/traffic information in csv/json [1]. The
gov.uk publishes similar data [2]. I realize this is centered mainly on
people who live in those countries, but it may be helpful to look at other
large traffic-getting domains and see similarities and differences to the
browser usage on Wikipedia [3].

[1] https://analytics.usa.gov/data/, Code:
https://github.com/18F/analytics.usa.gov
[2] https://data.gov.uk/data/site-usage#browsers_names
[3]
https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#desktop-site-by-browser/browser-family-and-major-tabular-view

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 2:28 AM Joaquin Oltra Hernandez <
> jhernan...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > I think that people using old browsers on desktop, are most surely doing
> it
> > because they have to (company policy on locked down computers) and
> showing
> > them a banner or similar is only going to detract from their experience
> > with information they don't neither want nor need.
> >

> To be honest, bugging these users means hopefully they'll bug their IT
> managers to finally get their fucking asses in the 2010s and stop being
> irresponsible. I won't lose any sleep over annoying them...
>
> However, there's two other groups who would be annoyed/confused by such
> banners:
>
> * Parents/grandparents who got their Windows XP laptop 12 years ago and
> don't know how to upgrade--nor do they care, as long as they can check
> their e-mail and print pictures :)
> * People in lower-income locales for whom upgrading is a cost-prohibitive
> endeavor
>
> -Chad

Melody Kramer <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:MKramer_(WMF)>
Senior Audience Development Manager
Read a random featured article from Wikipedia!
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:RandomInCategory/Featured_articles>

mkra...@wikimedia.org