On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM, C. Scott Ananian
<canan...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> There are other big users of HHVM -- do we know what other members of the
> larger community are doing?  We've heard that Phabricator intends to follow
> PHP 7.  Etsy also shifted to HHVM, do we know what their plans are?

Etsy 'experimented' with HHVM [0] and then eventually switched to PHP7
as their primary runtime. The blog posts about this are a little
scattered, but Rasmus spoke about it [1] and Etsy started the phan
project [2].

For what it's worth, my opinion is that PHP is an actual FLOSS
software project with years of history and core contributions from
Zend who make their living with PHP. HHVM is a well funded internal
project from Facebook that has experimented with FLOSS but ultimately
is controlled by the internal needs of Facebook. For me the choice
here is obviously to back the community driven FLOSS project and help
them continue to thrive.

[0]: https://codeascraft.com/2015/04/06/experimenting-with-hhvm-at-etsy/
[1]: https://codeascraft.com/speakers/rasmus-lerdorf-deploying-php-7/
[2]: https://github.com/phan/phan

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Cloud Services          Boise, ID USA